Monday, September 21, 2009

I'm with the band




My girlfriend is in a band. I like telling people this because in my mind it makes me seem really cool that someone who is in a band would ACTUALLY want to date me. It’s kind of a shameless ego trip that has little to do with her achievements. Anyway, her band is called the goodbye horses, and they just recorded a new single and filmed a video for it!

This in theory is very exciting news, unfortunately in practice it has caused considerable apprehension for me of late. See, I don’t often share similar music tastes with my girlfriend- many fights to the death have been fought on the battle fields of the car radio between us. So for this reason, there was a very real chance I wouldn’t appreciate her band’s hard work. Any normal person would just blatantly lie if they didn’t like the single. I however, am horrible at hiding my feelings towards music I don’t enjoy. Usually my distaste ranges between impulsive foul mouthed outbursts to declarations of jihad on the band and their music. it’s pretty bad but I deliver judgement openly and with zeal as if I think I’m a supreme mystical being and the world is in need of my opinion – or as if I’m Kanye West. Anyway, the long and the short of it is this situation was not one for my uncontrollable opinions to unleash themselves. Hence my rising panic: What if I didn’t like it? Even if I said I liked it, how would I hide the pain on my face as I listened? How would I keep up the charade through the whole song with my only chance of escape being out a 6 story window?!?

The last thing I wanted was to be the unsupportive naysayer to my rock-star-to-be, so I was silently dreading the day the band finished recording and the single was ready to go. Eventually though, my time came. There I sat on my girlfriend’s bed, headphones on, hands clammy, a light sweat on my upper lip where my dermatologist tells me I would have a female moustache if I were middle eastern- apparently my skin problems are due to my cells being over receptive to testosterone. Any who I digress, back to the single! Basically, I was nervous as all hell and ready to face my doom. Our differing music tastes and my big mouth were about to wreak havoc on my love life.

Turns out I REALLY liked it. I was a little shocked and I think this may have been obvious. It probably doesn’t help that I suspected I may not have liked my girlfriend’s sweat, blood and tears but I’m all about honesty. Anyway, the song is just so good! Now with my worries out that 6 story high window, I feel it is my RIGHT, given my girlfriend is like, totally in the band, to plug the shit out of it!

The single “Some Storms Have Names”, is a rambunctious 3 minutes and 14 seconds of charged indie rock written by lead singer Kate Bradley. It relates the fear and anxiety we struggle with as situations arise only to corrode any sense of control we thought we had over our lives. The video was filmed by Brisbane based film clip company, The Picture Club. The Goodbye Horses are playing the sounds of spring festival on the 26th of September, so if you’re going along, make sure to check out those sexy beasts! Also, you can hear more tracks and get news on upcoming gigs and releases at http://www.myspace.com/goodbyehorsesband. Groovy.

So without further ado:
(My girlfriend is the drummer by the way, she’s a total babe but she has it in her head that she’s all rock n’ roll and shit, so just for the record, that shirt she’s wearing is from Country Road. Enjoy!)


No comments:

Post a Comment